Lots of sites are starting to dish out ideas about how to handle losing your job. This one in the Washington Post is a good example, suggesting that the best thing to do is to wait until you've lost a job and then "Start the climb back by rebuilding your self-image."
- taking an inventory of your skills and capabilities
- keeping your resume up to date with recent achievements
- joining appropriate industry bodies & networks
- identifying knowledge gaps & planning to fill them
- participating in networks & forums both online and offline
- getting to know other people in your industry
[* Richard C. Cushing ]